Family-based preference categories are a way for US citizens and lawful permanent residents to sponsor their family members to come to the United States.

The process of sponsoring a family member can be complicated, so it is important to work with an immigration lawyer who can help you through the process. A lawyer can help you gather the necessary documents and guide you through the application process. If you are a US citizen or lawful permanent resident and would like to sponsor your family member, call us today at (720) 802-2705 to learn more about your legal options and ways we can help.

What is an I-130 Form?

An I-130 form is an immigration form that is used to establish a familial relationship between a U.S. citizen or permanent resident and a foreign national. The I-130 form is also known as the Petition for Alien Relative.

The I-130 form is used by U.S. citizens or permanent residents who want to sponsor a family member for immigration to the United States. The sponsor must be at least 21 years of age and must be able to show that they have a bona fide relationship with the relative they are sponsoring.

The I-130 form must be filed with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS). Once the I-130 form is approved, the sponsored relative can apply for a green card, or for immigrant status if they are already in the United States.

What Determines My Eligibility?

The U.S. Department of State’s Bureau of Consular Affairs is responsible for issuing visas to foreign nationals who wish to travel to the United States.

There are several different types of visa categories, each with its own requirements and eligibility criteria. Family-based preference categories are reserved for certain close relatives of U.S. citizens and permanent residents.

If you have a family member who is a U.S. citizen or permanent resident, you may be eligible for a family-based immigrant visa. The following preferences are available:

  • First Preference (F1): Unmarried sons and daughters of U.S. citizens and their minor children
  • Second Preference (F2): Spouses, minor children, and unmarried sons and daughters (age 21 and older) of permanent residents
  • Third Preference (F3): Married sons and daughters of U.S. citizens and their spouses and minor children
  • Fourth Preference (F4): Brothers and sisters of U.S. citizens and their spouses and minor children, provided the citizen siblings are at least 21 years old

Why Should I Hire a Family-Based Immigration Lawyer?

Hiring an immigration lawyer is one of the smartest things you can do when going through the family-based immigration process. Family-based immigration can be complex, and a lawyer can ensure that you are taking all the right steps to petition for your family members.

When choosing a lawyer, make sure that they have experience with family-based immigration. This type of immigration law is different from other types of immigration law, so you want to make sure that your lawyer is well-versed in the process. Our team will be able to help you understand the family-based immigration process and make sure that you are taking all the necessary steps to resolve your issue. Contact us today to get started!