The I-751 form, also known as the Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence, is a petition that certain conditional residents must file in order to remove the conditions on their permanent residency status. Conditional residents are those who have been granted permanent residency status based on their relationship to a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident spouse. In order to remove the conditions on their status, they must file an I-751 form within 90 days before their second anniversary of receiving their conditional permanent resident status.

What Happens if My I-751 Petition Is Still Pending When My Citizenship Application Is Due?

There are two possible scenarios that could occur if your I-751 petition is still pending when your citizenship application is due.

The first scenario is that you may be able to apply for what is known as “citizenship by exception.” Citizenship by exception is available to those who are unable to file their I-751 form on time due to extraordinary circumstances beyond their control, such as a major disaster or serious illness. If you believe that you qualify for citizenship by exception, you should include a detailed explanation of your situation when you submit your citizenship application.

The second scenario is that you may be able to file for an extension of your conditional permanent resident status. This extension will give you additional time to file your I-751 form. To file for an extension, you must submit a Form I-751 Supplement E with your citizenship application.

What Resources Can I Use for Help? 

If you have any questions about whether you can apply for U.S. citizenship while your I-751 petition is still pending, or if you need help with any other immigration matters, we encourage you to contact our law firm today. We are here to help ensure that your rights are protected and that you have the best possible chance of success in achieving your immigration goals. Our team is knowledgeable about immigration law, and we have an array of resources that we can use to help you with your case. Contact us today to learn more about how we can assist you.

Why Should I Hire a Family-Based Immigration Lawyer?

The immigration process can be complex, and it is important to have an experienced lawyer on your side who can help you navigate the process and ensure that your rights are protected. At our immigration law firm, we have extensive experience handling all types of family-based immigration matters, including I-751 petitions. We will work tirelessly to help you obtain the best possible outcome in your case. Call us today at (720) 802-2705 to learn more about your legal options and ways we can help.