An adjustment of status is the process that allows a foreign national to apply for lawful permanent resident status (a green card) while in the United States.

To be eligible for an adjustment of status, an individual must have been inspected and admitted or paroled into the United States and must also meet specific eligibility requirements.

If you are eligible for an adjustment of status, you will need to file Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status, with USCIS. You may also need to submit other forms and documentation, as well as pay the required filing fees.

Once your application is received by USCIS, it will go through a review process. If everything is in order, USCIS will approve your application, and you will become a lawful permanent resident of the United States.

What Are the Steps to Adjusting Status to U.S. Permanent Resident Through Marriage? 

If you are married to a U.S. citizen or permanent resident, you may be eligible to adjust your status to U.S. permanent resident through the marriage-based immigration process. Adjusting status means that you will be able to live and work in the United States permanently.

The first step in adjusting your status is to file a petition with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Your spouse will need to file Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative, on your behalf. Once the USCIS approves the petition, you will then need to complete an application for adjustment of status, which is Form I-485. You will also need to submit various supporting documents, including proof of your relationship with your spouse and evidence that you are eligible for permanent residency.

After you have submitted your application, you will need to attend an interview with the USCIS. During the interview, a USCIS officer will ask you questions about your marriage and your relationship with your spouse. The USCIS officer will also review all of the documents that you have submitted. If the USCIS officer is satisfied that your marriage is genuine and that you are eligible for permanent residency, he or she will approve your application. Once your application has been approved, you will be able to live and work in the United States as a permanent resident.

Why Would I Need to Get My Status Adjusted?

There are many different reasons why someone may want to adjust their status. Some common reasons include getting married to a U.S. citizen or legal permanent resident, having an employment-based visa, or being the child or parent of a U.S. citizen or legal permanent resident.

No matter what your reason is for wanting to adjust your status, it’s important to make sure that you meet all the eligibility requirements before beginning the process. Failing to do so could result in your application being denied, which could have serious consequences for your future in the United States.

Why Should I Hire a Family-Based Immigration Lawyer? 

The family-based immigration process can be long and complicated. Hiring a lawyer who specializes in this area of law can help ensure that your case is handled properly and efficiently. We have experience with adjustment of status cases and we can help you. Call us today at (720) 802-2705 to learn more about your legal options and ways we can help.